Internet at homes is not considered as a luxury or additional expense anymore. As a matter of fact, it has become a necessity due to various reasons. Let us first look at some of the main reasons why we need internet connections at homes. That will give you a very good idea about, why internet connection has become a basic necessity of today.
Some of the reasons are:
- For making and receiving free internet calls through mobile and web apps
- For sending and receiving unlimited text messages
- For watching movies and music
- For connecting with friends, family members, business associates, etc through social media websites.
- For finding and sharing information
- For educational purposes, or for joining online certification courses
- To keep in touch with the breaking news
- To check out the reviews on latest movies
- To work from home, and for marketing your business online
- Downloading movies and music
- For playing multiplayer games, with opponents from across the globe
- For learning new skills
- For buying things from e-Commerce stores
- Sending and receiving money through online bank transactions
- For paying your monthly utility bills
- For learning about new places
- For showcasing your talents and promoting yourself
- For checking weather forecasts
- For trading on currencies, stocks, commodities, and checking market news etc
The list goes on and on…
Now that you understand the importance of having internet connections at homes, the next question is, which kind of connection will best suit your needs?
Basically, there are 2 ways to get your a home connected:
- Wired broadband connection [With the option of getting a fixed landline]
- Wireless connections like 3G and 4G dongles, mobile phone SIM cards, and Wi-Fi hotspots.
Wired broadband connection:
This is a time tested and a successful technology, which basically works on combination of optical fibers and copper wires. A cable will be extended to your homes, and fitted to Wi-Fi Modem. The modems will generally have the capacity to network more than 10 devices [Smartphones, tablets, laptops, desktops] wirelessly.
You can connect your home systems through wireless connection by using 4G or 3G dongles or Wi-Fi hotspots. You can also connect your devices from mobile data [With SIM cards] through portable hotspot or tethering.
1. Broadband connections are much stable, and are even faster than the wireless dongles and SIM cards in many places.
2. The installation and tariffs of Wired broadband connections are generally cheaper than the 3G and 4G plans.
3. Wireless options allow you to use 1 or fewer devices, and you will need to manually do the hot spot each time. One the other hand, with wired broadband, you can use 1 account to automatically provide internet to all the devices of everyone at home.
4. Wireless connections might be the only available option for rural areas, because the optic wires might not reach some remote locations. However, broadband connections cover more than 70% of the places in cities, and the networks are growing all the time.
If you need internet exclusively for your home, then it makes a lot of sense to go for wired broadband with Wi-Fi modem. Not only will the tariffs be cheaper, even the connection will be more stable.