Cycle ball, if you are not familiar with this game, is otherwise known as Rad ball. It is said to be a combination of cycling and football and was invented by a German-American, named Edward Kaufmann. It is considered an unusual sport in the United States, but has been around since the late 19th century. It first gained popularity in Europe and reached the far flung shores of Asia, like Japan.
How the Game is Played
Cycle ball is a fun game to watch. It is played around a basketball field with an area of 36 x 46 feet. The play-off consists of two teams with two players per team. The players ride around the field; and using their heads and front wheels, they shoot a ball through their opponent’s goals to score a point. The team that has the most number of goals wins the game.
The Professional Player
Unlike other sports that you see on sports news, there is no money to be made in Cycle Ball. Players normally have full time jobs, and trains only during competitions. These games can cost the players a lot of money in terms of bike expenses. Since these matches call for unavoidable contact with each other, these oftentimes result to a lot of money expended by the players for cycle ball bikes alone. Still, the game is exciting and spectacular. Players normally spare no expenses in getting the best and top-of-the line bike wheels that are available in the market today.
The Equipment Used
The cycle ball bikes used for these games are specially constructed and optimized for Cycling Ball. These bikes are more durable than the bikes that we used in going to school. The cycle ball bike’s reconstructed features include: the seat is positioned at the back tire; use of single gear for ease of movement and mobility, and; the handlebars point straight up. The bikes are heavier than ordinary bikes and costs around 2,000 Euros or around $2,534 U.S. Dollars. For the games, players are required to have lots of practice and experience in riding so as to keep their balance during shootouts and gametime.
What are Cycle Ball Bicycles
Cycle Ball Bikes are extra-ordinary bikes, unlike the bikes that we normally see on the streets. They are especially designed for extra strength and special movements. These special movements would include turning, shooting, dashing and outright breaks and stopping. This bike is a powerhouse, with one piece construction for its handlebars that are welded straight into the stem. This allows for forceful shooting during competitions and play. Other features would include:
1. The saddle is attached to a seat post that extends to the rear side to enable you to pull your hips back when you are playing. This feature is particularly useful when a powerful kick is necessary so you don’t tumble over.
2. The front rear and gear ratio is fixed at 1:1 for better control and acceleration of the bikes. This would allow you to make sudden breaks, back-ups, dashes and other movements without fear of tipping over.
3. The chains used are thicker than ordinary bikes and can withstand the rigors of play. Frames are likewise thicker so as to absorb the extreme strong forces generated during turning and shooting once you join these matches.
4. These bikes do not have brakes unlike the bikes that we ordinarily use. To stop the bike, players or you would have to used both feet in order to stop it.
5. The gears are capable of moving the bicycles from 2.5 to 3 meters per full pedal revolution, so it would be less tiresome for you to pedal it.
6. The cap nuts make used of acorn nuts that are capped at the ends of the hub to prevent injury. These bikes also uses 24 teeth chain wheel and 22 teeth fixed gear for ease of mobility and biking comfort.
The cycle ball bikes have been tested for comfort, durability and safety. You can have one of those without fear of toppling over, and a guarantees that it would last for several years to come!